19 May 2006

List O Links type thingy III

When I saw this in the Guardian this morning my main thought was it's a bit cold in Darlington to be carrying on all this Gor nonsense. I'm sure I remember reading somewhere that the "slaves" within Gorean society spend most of their time in the nude, apart from the collar and leash of course.

Also in the Guardian today is Peter Bradshaw's reveiw of The Da Vinci Code it made me laugh out loud and get stared at in the office. I haven't read the book and I have no intention of seeing the film now I feel that I am likely to miss out on anything at all, the review is enough.

The US Senate voted for English to be the offical language of the USA this reminds me very much of when I studied American History. Throughout the post 1776 history of the USA there has been a belief that "The country is full up now, can't let anymore in" held by certain sections of their society and like Britian these cries become more vocal when the potential new Americans are not the same colour or do not speak the same language or are not co-religionists as the majority. Right now these beliefs are at the top of the agenda again it's all a bit 19th Century on Capitol Hill at the moment. The Statue of Liberty was completed in 1886 at its base is the famous poem by Emma Lazarus, you know the one that says

"Keep, ancient lands, your storied pomp!" cries she
with silent lips. "Give me your tired, your poor,
Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free,
The wretched refuse of your teeming shore,
Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me,
I lift my lamp beside the golden door!"

Even as the Statue was being raised the American government was passing law after law that tried to stop immigration by different groups, the Chinese for instance. If I could remember more of my American history I could draw more parallels. This is part of the anti-hispanic immigrant stance being taken by both Senate and Congress at the moment but not by George W Bush who is trying to stop them from passing laws which would criminalise all illegal immigrants and seek to chuck them out no questions asked. It is perhaps the first time and probably the last that I find myself in agreement with him. BBC article that explains it a bit more elequently than I here.

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous19 May, 2006

    The DaVinci Code is sitting on my bookcase as we speak/type, i keep trying to give it a shot but to be honest erm....how can i say this without sounding elitist....it's awful and laboured and like an a-level english essay in it's 'style'....hmmmm , it seems i can't say this without sounding elitist :) ah well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous19 May, 2006

    I saw the poster earlier on and was thinking if they scrubbed out the name of the film and Tom Hanks' face, I'd be so intrigued by everyone else in it I'd probably go and see it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous22 May, 2006

    I stumbled on a gorean couple in a chat room once, I had read the first few books when a teenager (I think I gave up after four) so I knew some of the 'jargon', I decided to join in the roleplay, I offered the man 15 targs (a type of gorean cattle I believe) for his woman. He politely refused. But later she told me she had been extremely flattered by my offer. Mind you offering imaginary animals I don't own as a means of expressing admiration for a lady has never had a positive effect on any other women I have known.

    Did you ever play - Gabrielle Knight 3, from what I remember didn't it have a lot of similarities to The Da Vinci Code, it's been a while though?

    ReplyDelete