20 January 2009

The Inauguration

photo from Boston.com

I can't remember an inauguration that has caused so much excitement and good feelings, especially here in the UK where we tend to be interested, often very interested, in the goings on of American politics but not fussed about the pomp and ceremony side of it. The BBC had almost as many correspondants covering the event as they did the Olympics last year.

Obama has a hell of a job on his hands to restore US financial fortunes and to get out of Iraq with dignity intact and it not all turning into a nastier mess that it already is. I don't think that all the US forces will be withdrawing though, I doubt they will be handing over all those multi million dollar bases that have been built in the last 5 years quite so quickly.

He has many things that he needs to look at; Gitmo, Afghanistan, healthcare system, infrastructure, education, international relations the list is possibly endless.

I feel very chuffed about Barack's win, I remember seeing him on CNN during the 2004 Democratic convention and boy did he shine, he just oozed charisma, intelligence and that wow I-want-to-be-able-for-you factor, but even then I thought, he won't be able to become president because he's black. I am so glad that I was so wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment